- Oragenics cashes in on the pandemic…
- The company says it can rapidly produce a new COVID vaccine…
- Penny stock briefly trades above $1 per share…
Oragenics Inc (NYSE: OGEN) is soaring on news of a licensing agreement to develop its COVID vaccine.
OGEN stock jumped as much as 80% early in the session. But it struggled to hold on to those gains, and shares were trading about 32% higher at writing.
Oragenics said the licensing agreement with the National Research Council of Canada will allow it to pursue the rapid development of next-generation SARS-CoV-2 vaccines.
The agreement gives the company “a platform that can generate cell lines for high-yield production of spike protein antigens for existing and emerging variants of concern.”
Oragenics says that the platform will allow it to develop vaccines at a much faster pace than others.
“This platform should allow production of cell lines within six to eight weeks of spike gene sequence availability, compared with six to nine months for traditional production of such cell lines.”
Technologies from the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) “will expedite the evaluation of SARS-CoV-2 antigen candidates in preclinical and clinical studies.”
The company also previously licensed a spike protein with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) that “demonstrates protective immunity in immunized mice challenged with mouse-adapted SARS-CoV-2 virus.”
Frederick W. Telling, Ph.D., Oragenics’ executive chairman said, “We believe the combination of our previously licensed NIH technology with the NRC’s swift expression platform will accelerate design of new vaccine candidates that benefit from the hybrid NIH/NRC constructs. This license enables us to jumpstart IND-enabling animal studies with supplies of spike proteins to address the wild-type Wuhan virus as well as the Beta (B.1.351 or “South African”) variant that is currently of global concern among public health professionals.”
Telling said Oragenics began preclinical studies with the NRC in June, starting with an “immunogenicity study in mice to evaluate several adjuvant candidates.”
Oragenics’ lead product is Terra CoV-2, which “leverages coronavirus spike protein research licensed from the NIH and the NRC with a focus on addressing supply-chain challenges, and offering more patient-friendly administration, such as intranasal.”
“We believe the licensed technologies will improve development speed, while the ability to rapidly engineer new vaccine antigens will permit us to quickly address new variants as they arise,” said Telling.
Six Picks About OGEN Stock
- Oragenics Inc was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Tampa, FL.
- Oragenics says it’s “a development-stage company dedicated to fighting infectious diseases including coronaviruses and multidrug-resistant organisms.”
- The company was founded on the concept of Replacement Therapy, which uses the idea of replacing harmful bacteria with beneficial bacteria to cause a therapeutic or health-enhancing effect in the oral cavity.
- Its first Replacement Therapy was called SMaRT (S.Mutans Replacement Therapy) and “utilizes a genetically engineered strain of Streptococcus mutans that could help prevent cavities by replacing the body’s natural caries-causing strains of S. mutans. This new strain preferentially colonizes on the surface of teeth and the applied should prevent tooth decay.”
- Oragenics also develops lantibiotics, which are “ a class of antibiotic compounds with novel mechanism of action, prized for their ability to overcome antibiotic-resistant infections.”
- The stock closed at 63 cents per share on Monday and hit a daily high of $1.12 per share today.
Featured image credit: Phongphan/Shutterstock.com